Khaptad National Park
Khaptad National Park Tour offers one of the non-touristic wilderness national park experiences in Nepal that is visited by very few numbers of tourists. The area of the park is 225 square km. The Khaptad National Park, one of the main attractions of Khaptad, was established in 1984 in far western region of Nepal. It is covered by beautiful oak and rhododendron forests. Bear, Leopard, common langur, musk deer and 260 species of birds, 500 types of herbs and a large number of flora and fauna are found in this national park situated at 12 thousand feet from the sea level.
Khaptad area is known as the ground-heaven of far west Nepal. Known for its natural beauty and biological diversity, Khaptad area can be reached through Doti, Achham, Bajang and Bajura District of Nepal. It is easier to reach Khaptad area through Bajhang and Doti District. In addition; its natural varieties, the Khaptad National Park is very renowned religious place as it is the domicile of Hindu guru "Khaptad Swami" or "Khaptad Baba", a renounced hermit. Khaptad Baba lived here for many years and found out many healing herbal plants. He meditated in Khaptad area for long time and reserved five km area for the meditation and tranquility.
Khaptad Lake and wonderful view of Api and Saipal Himal range are of special interest for the tourists. The biggest carnival known as Ganga Dashahara Carnival gets held in Khaptad on 14 Jestha of Nepali month that falls in the last week of May. For the tourists, the carnival is a great opportunity to see far western culture and lifestyle. Butchering, alcohol and tobacco are forbidden in his area.
- Day 01 :Kathmandu - Dhangadi (198m)The first day of our journey begins with a scenic flight from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj which takes about 1 hour to reach Nepalgunj. Arrive Nepalgunj and drive towards Buditola along the Karnali River which is the longest river in Nepal. After four hours drive from Nepalgunj, we reach Buditola where we will stay overnight.
- Day 02 :Drive Buditola to Silgadhi (1330m) – 6 hrs drive.After breakfast, we move forward towards Silgadhi, the famous city in the region. The drive for about six hours takes you to Silgadhi where we will spend our overnight.
- Day 03 :Trek to Jhigrana (2300m) – 7 hrs walkOn the third day, we start our trek from Silgadhi to Jhigrana via Baglek (2160m). After having breakfast, we trek to Baglek for about 3 ½ hours and stop for the lunch. After lunch, the trek to Jhigrana takes about 3 ½ hours. Overnight at Jhigrana.
- Day 04 :Trek to Bukipani (3080m) – 6 / 7 hrs walkCommencing trek from Jhigrana, we walk further four hours to reach Bichpani Dharmasala (3020m). Taking lunch at Bichpani, we walk two and half hours and reach Bukipani where we will stay for overnight.
- Day 05 :Trek to Khaptad (3010m) – 2 hrs walkToday is the shortest day of our trek. After breakfast, we will walk for two hours and reach Khaptad. Upon arrival we will have lunch and visit Khaptad including Khaptad Baba’s Ashram and Triveni. This area is also well known as the place of “Khaptad Baba” who was great master of society having religious & social philosophy. Overnight at Khaptad.
- Day 06 :Explore Khaptad National Park and stay overnightWe will explore Khaptad National Park today. Our visit will include: Museum, Khaptad Danda, Patan and tower. The National park “Khaptad National Park” established on 1984 has extra ordinary eco system with huge variety of vegetation ranging from sub-tropical forest in the lower altitudes to temperate forests on the Khaptad plateau. The National park is rich on flora and fauna such as oak and rhododendron in the higher area. There are more than 224 species of medical herbs, about 11 percent of flowering plants of Nepal, 270 species of birds, various species of animals. Overnight at Khaptad.
- Day 07 :Trek back to Jhigrana – 7 hrs walkFollowing our foot steps back to Jhigrana, we will pass through the same trail. Four hours trek from Khaptad to Bichpani and then to Jhigrana. Overnight at Jhigrana.
- Day 08 :Drive to Dhangadhi and stay overnightEarly in the morning, after breakfast, we drive towards Dhangadhi. Dhangadi is a village development committee in Siraha District in the Sagarmatha Zone of south-eastern Nepal. Overnight stay at Dhangadhi.
- Day 09 :Drive or fly back to Kathmandu – 1 hr 20 minutes flight, 6 hrsIn the last day of our journey, we return to the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu. There are two options to arrive in Kathmandu. You can catch a flight from Dhangadi – Kathmandu which will take about 1 hour and 20 minutes to reach Kathmandu whereas it takes 6 hours by drive. Upon arrival, transfer to the hotel. Overnight stay in Kathmandu.